- Is more common in women but more severe in men.
- Is a chronic condition that cannot be cured but CAN be kept under control
- The treatment is holistic and comprehensive and includes:
- Full medical assessment: lifestyle, triggers, dietary assessment, medication, hormonal status
- Exclusion of associated conditions: dietary intolerances, helicobacter pylori infection, ocular involvement, cardiovascular and inflammatory conditions
- Sufferers must understand the condition and make lifestyle changes to control the facial flushing
- The home skin care regimen must be specific to rosacea: avoidance of soaps, heavy makeup, masks, occlusive creams, and harsh cosmoceuticals. People should use instead a homecare regimen that is effective in protecting the skin, prevent flushing and promote epidermal repair.
- In clinic treatments are a combination of laser and IPL treatments to reduce the facial redness.
The latest studies show:
- For reducing temporarily persistent redness there was high-certainty evidence for topical brimonidine(Mirvaso gel) and moderate certainty for topical oxymetazoline;
- for erythema and mainly telangiectasia(veins and broken capillaries) there was low-to-moderate-certainty evidence for laser and intense pulsed light therapy
- For reducing papules/pustules there was high-certainty evidence for topical azelaic acid and topical ivermectin; moderate-to-high-certainty evidence for doxycycline 40 mg modified release (MR) and isotretinoin; and moderate-certainty evidence for topical metronidazole
- There was low-certainty evidence for tetracycline and low-dose minocycline. For ocular rosacea, there was moderate-certainty evidence that oral omega-3 fatty acids were effective and low-certainty evidence for ciclosporin ophthalmic emulsion and doxycycline.
Rosacea is a common, chronic skin condition that must only be treated by clinicians that are familiar with it.
Please do not hesitate to call us should you require additional information or make an appointment for a comprehensive consultation with a member of our staff.